Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Walnut tissue boxes




One of my most recent projects are these tissue boxes that I built for Christmas gifts. I originally made 14 of them - a few for our home and the rest for family and freinds for Christmas gift giving. I posted a picture of one of them on one of my favorite forums on the internet and a number of people expressed interest, so I wound up making over thirty more of them and sold a number of them to people all across the country and even to one guy up in Alberta, Canada!




I hadn't used my box joint table saw blade set in a while and wanted to get it out and make something with it. These tissue boxes were the result. Another interesting note about these boxes is the fact that the walnut used to make them was procured by myself from the New Hope Solebury School district. They had two walnut trees come down near their field hockey fields and wanted to know if anyone was interested in them for firewood. Fortunately, my wife heard about it (she works in the school district business office) and I claimed them before the trees were cut up. I hired a gentleman with a portable sawmill to come to the site and cut them up into useable lumber. I got a bargain in the process! The sawmill fee, some help and supplies all totaled around $400. When I added up the total board feet of lumber that I got out of the two trees, I ended up with about $1,400.00 worth of lumber. It definitely was a score. Anyway, here is a picture or two of the boxes.




No comments:

Post a Comment