Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Fireplace surround/cabinet


Another project that came out of the shop when I was building the bar room was this fireplace. With our home already pretty much 100% electric, I didn't want to add any more electrical useage to the house, so I opted for a ventless, propane fired fireplace and this one absolutely does the trick in heating up the bar room. I keep it low when the room is not in use, so when I go out there to prepare for entertaining, I turn up the heat with a remote that also serves as the thermostat and within ten minutes, the room is up to the desired temp and the fireplace doesn't kick on again for what could be up to hours.


The cabinet/surround was basically straight forward carpentry with some nice woodworking added in - such as the walnut dentil moulding. I did have to adhere to some code enforced measurements as far as dimensions around the firebox and how high above the firebox the top of the cabinet could be and how far out in front of the structure it could extend. With those things in mind, it was still easy to build. It came out very nice in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment