Thursday, December 17, 2009

Corner Hutches




My Brother Dave and his Wife Diane asked me if I could build them some corner hutches to go into their newly remodeled dining room. I was free and had the time and the desire, so when we agreed to a price, the project got underway. The hardest part of the project were the doors. I had never attempted a rounded top to any doors and it was a challenge, but I got it down pretty good. Templates can be your friend!.....and a good router and template bit ;)




Anyway, they came out pretty nice. I pre-painted the bottom door panels. This is common since wood expands and contracts according to the ambient moisture content of the surrounding air. This is what makes those annoying little lines of unfinished wood you will see, mostly in the wintertime when the air is drier. The wood shrinks and the panels get smaller and along the outer perimeter of them, you see unfinished wood. By pre-painting the entire panel, this eliminates that.


No comments:

Post a Comment