Saturday, February 13, 2021

Interior Gliding Barn Door

 I had a former co-worker ask me if I could fabricate a gliding interior barn door for his Son's new home that was being either built or remodeled....I forget.  I was intrigued by the idea and quickly accepted the job.  These doors were popularized by Johanna Gaines of cable TV fame and her Magnolia Industries.  Honestly, it was quite a simple job...but there was one sticking point in how to construct the field of the door...the section between the framework.  I conferred with a fellow and trusted woodworking friend on the subject and he actually came up with a great idea.  Two minds can sometimes make all the difference in the world! 

   The entire project is constructed from maple lumber.  The field is actually made up of a 1/4" baltic birch plywood core.  Baltic birch is a very stable type of plywood thanks to its multiple layers of plys over standard plywood.  That makes it much more stable after construction, meaning it won't shrink and expand due to relative humidity.  Over the core....I applied laminations of maple that were slightly under 1/4" in thickness...both sides and matching in their orientation.  Used glue and pin brad nails.  Came out awesome if I have to say so myself.








No comments:

Post a Comment