Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Lazy Susan Picture Display

The same buddy that had me build 3 Hope chests recently, also wanted me to attempt to to fabricate some sort of revolving picture display using some locally purchased 4'X6" double sided picture frames from Michaels Craft stores.  Getting to the diameter that was needed...I sketched out the plans for what I liked to call, "the picture carousel", and determined that we could get a total of sixteen frames comfortably fit onto the carousel....meaning a total of thirty two different pictures on display.

   The project intrigued me as it would definitely require some jigs to be built specifically for the task, but also offered me the opportunity to build some other jigs that I could use, but were needed for this project also.  So, I not only got to build the project, but came out the other end now having some additional help in the shop in the form of reusable jigs that will serve me for a long time.

  After some ideas being thrown back and forth and settling on an idea and size...I sketched out a final plan and went at it.  Gotta say, I really liked the result.  However, for what I would have to charge for the thing, in relation to the amount of work put into it....not quite sure if many people would want to pay the tab for something that just displays pictures.  Still, I was quite proud of it and obviously, since it spins in a lazy susan mode...it must have a bearing in use and it does...that is sandwiched between the two bottom discs, using a routed trough in the bottom disc for the bearing to sit within.  Thanks to one of those reusable jigs I spoke of.


No comments:

Post a Comment