Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Bi-Fold Pantry Doors

  For as long as we have owned our house and I worked for a living ( I am now retired) I have always wanted to remodel our kitchen and build my own cabinetry after having seen the kitchen of a racing friend who's Dad had done the same.  I was impressed and knew that I wanted to do the same.  I knew that I had to wait until I was retired and had much more time per day to dedicate to the build and remodel.  Once I stepped away from my 40 hours per week, I took care of an open heart surgery that was needed and that took up the first summer.  The second Spring of my retirement, I set about to do the kitchen.  However, I left the original pantry doors, which now stuck out like a sore thumb as they were much darker.


   Now, I don't know why I waited so long to get around to making new bi-folds that matched the naturally finished quarter sawn red oak cabinets I constructed for the kitchen.  But I did.  I guess it has been three years now that I got around to getting them done.  Simple frame and panel construction and quite honestly, a stupidly simple jog - just adding to the question why I waited so long?  Anyway, I went into this winter season with two projects on the "must build" list.  One of them were these doors and the other was/is recreating an antique dough box piece of furniture that we have in our family room.  Some time this winter...that will be posted up above somewhere.  So, I got around to the doors and it took basically four days to create them...that includes the finishing steps.  Used the same 1/4" walnut dowel treatment and also the edge beading detail as I used with the cabinetry to zero in on the style of everything else in the room.  Purchased all new hardware for the build and while it was a bit expensive...it works great.....smoooooth and quiet.


No comments:

Post a Comment