Friday, January 29, 2016

Pair of night stands

A friend that has commissioned me a handful of times approached me to ask if I would like to build him and his future wife a pair of nightstands for their new home they had just recently purchased.  I was in the middle of the hall table project down below, but as soon as I was done with that, I could start on his needs.  They wanted me to match the tables up with a piece of furniture that was already being used in their bedroom to sit a television on.  It looked like either maple or cherry and since I was already in "maple mode" from the hall table project just before it.....I chose to go with the maple....to be exact...more ambrosia maple.  I always hate to stain wood, but one has to go with the needs and desires of the customer and they wanted a dark finish.  This finish is Verathane "Carrington".  The clearcoat is Deft satin brushing lacquer which was diluted 20% with thinner and sprayed from my Wagner HVLP spray gun.  I have fallen in love with Deft's finishes as they are very forgiving as to the expertise level of the sprayer and it dries quickly....needs minimal sanding between coats and often just one sanding.  I usually go with three coats and then a light sanding and however many more I want to build up.  And it provides a silky, satiny feel to its finish once it is done.  I just love it.......and that is across the whole spectrum of glosses from the satin through the semi gloss to the high gloss....all the same results.  One last thing....for the drawers, I used, once again, those plastic drywall corner guards.  I hot glue them to the bottom/sides of the drawers and they provide a super smooth gliding action that will last an awfully long time.  I have this same system on furniture in our home that I built many, many years ago and I have had no breakdown.  It's a very cost effective and trustworthy way of providing a smooth sliding drawer.



No comments:

Post a Comment